Our approach on saving energy
We know that rising gas and electricity prices are a real cause for concern for many of our tenants. Our energy team can support you to take simple steps towards reducing your energy bills without making your home less comfortable.
What we mean by advice on saving energy
We offer tenants the following free advice on saving energy:
- Home energy checks to help you understand how you use energy in your home and the changes you could make to save money.
- Help with comparing energy suppliers so that you can see if you are getting the best price for your gas and electricity - it only takes a few minutes to find out how your supplier compares to others, but could save you hundreds of pounds in the long run.
- Information about grants and other funds that could help you to reduce the amount of money you spend on energy, for example by making your home more energy efficient.
Energy saving tips:
- Keep curtains drawn at night
- Blinds do not stop heat escaping
- Make sure all appliances are switched off when you go to bed or leave your home.
- If your central heating system is timed to come on only when you are in the house and off when you leave, switch the heating off 30 minutes before you leave the house. The radiators will still stay warm until you leave.
- Use energy saving lightbulbs – they use 80% less energy, so each one can save you around £10 a year. (You can request one at our reception desk at Emily House)
- Fit radiator panels behind radiators that are on outside facing walls so that warmth is reflected back into the room instead of being absorbed by the walls – they are cheap and you can fit them yourself.
What you can expect from our service
We aim to provide you with practical help specifically tailored to you and your home so that you can make small adjustments to use energy more wisely and save you money on your utility bills.
What will happen after you ask for energy advice
We will contact you to discuss your personal situation and if required we can visit you in your home to give advice. Please ensure that you have as many electric and gas bills available, preferably for the past year, so our advisor can calculate your energy use.
How to contact us about energy advice
For more information please contact our energy team on the number at the bottom of this page.
For more general advice please contact:
Energy Saving Trust (for information on savings and grants available)
T: 0300 123 1234
Simply Switch (For assistance on switching utility companies)
Energy Helpline (For advice and tips on switching utilities and related matters)
My Home Energy
The National Housing Federation, in partnership with Green Star Energy, has a free energy comparison site for social housing tenants called My Home Energy.
The site provides tenants with a free online or telephone comparison and switching service that could help you save money on your energy bills. Its free, fast and simple and they will take care of all the paperwork for you. All you need is your postcode and a recent energy bill!
Simply call their friendly team for free on 0800 0014 706 or visit www.myhomeenergyswitch.org.uk today to find the best price for your gas and electricity.