Compensation service

Our approach to compensation

We are committed to providing a high quality service, but from time to time, mistakes can happen. In some circumstances we may offer compensation.

What we mean by compensation

Compensation is a payment that we offer tenants in certain situations, for example if we have not met the service standards that we aim to achieve or because we require someone to move out of their home because we need to improve, demolish or sell the property.

What you can expect from our service 

Home loss and disturbance

If you have lived in your home for at least a year and we ask you to move out permanently, we will give you a home loss payment. You may also be entitled to a disturbance payment to compensate for your moving costs. For permanent moves, we will pay your removal costs as well as the costs of transferring your phone, disconnecting and reconnecting your cooker and washing machine, and other unavoidable costs relating to the move. The costs must be reasonable and you will need to provide receipts.

For temporary moves, we are not legally obliged to make a payment but we may consider contributing to the costs of your move. We consider each case individually.

Late repairs 

We have target times for completing repairs:

  • emergency repairs – within 24 hours
  • urgent repairs – within 5 working days
  • routine repairs – within 15 working days.

If we do not complete a repair to your home within our target times and it is not because you

changed your appointment time, we will set a new target date. If we fail to meet the new date without good reason, then we will consider making a compensation payment.

We will not pay compensation if:

  • the delay was outside of our control, for example if there is a strike
  • you did not give us access to your home or caused delay in another way.

Appointments missed

If we arrange to visit you at home, fail to keep this appointment and did not inform you of a change to the appointment at least 24 hours prior to the appointment, we will make a £20 gesture of goodwill payment in acknowledgement of inconvenience.

Multiple appointments missed

We do not make payments on claims related to loss of earnings. However, where we miss two appointments or more, we can offer a gesture of goodwill payment up to a maximum of £100.

Heating breakdown

If your heating breaks down during cold weather, we can provide you with temporary electric heaters if you do not have any of your own. We will contribute £1.50 a day towards your extra electricity costs. Please remember that for safety reasons, we do not allow gas or paraffin heaters to be used in our properties.

When you cannot use rooms or services in your home

We may pay compensation if you are not able to use a room or service in your home because of a repair problem that is our responsibility. The table below shows the payments we may make. In each instance, we will only make one of the compensation payments described – we do not ‘stack up’ multiple payments.

  • No sanitary provision at all (where all toilets in the dwelling are completely unusable) 100% of rent (after 24 hours)
  • A complete loss of cold water supply 100% of rent (after 72 hours)
  • A complete loss of electricity supply 100% of rent (after 72 hours)
  • From October-March: a complete loss of heating, where no temporary alternative heating is provided
  • 100% of rent (after 72 hours)
  • No hot water 20% of rent (after 5 working days)
  • Kitchen out of use 20% of rent (after 72 hours)
  • Bathroom out of use 20% of rent (after 72 hours)
  • Living room out of use 20% of rent (after 10 working days)
  • Bedroom out of use (only where back boiler is in the living room) 20% of rent (after 10 working days)

Failure to deliver services

If you have to go longer than 10 working days without a service which you pay for through your service charge, we will make an appropriate credit to your rent account. We will do this within 28 days of normal service being resumed. 

We will not make a payment if the fault is caused by misuse or damage, if we cannot get hold of spare parts, or stopping the service is part of planned works.

Home improvements

If you are a secure or assured tenant and you are moving out of your home, you can request a compensation payment for certain improvements you made to the property and are leaving in it.

The home improvements which may qualify for a compensation payment are:

  • a bath, shower, wash hand basin or toilet
  • a kitchen sink
  • storage cupboards in the kitchen
  • work surfaces for preparing food
  • cavity wall or loft insulation
  • insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • space or water heating
  • thermostatic radiator valves
  • draught-proofing of outside doors or windows
  • security improvements (except burglar alarms and metal grills)
  • secondary or double glazing or other outside window replacement
  • re-wiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors).

To qualify for a compensation payment, you must have:

  • written to us before carrying out the work and received our consent in writing
  • sent us two independent quotations for the work (we do not compensate for works you completed yourself)
  • provided evidence of having any official permission needed, such as planning permission.

We will not compensate you if we are evicting you for breaking your tenancy conditions or you are buying your home from us.

If you request a compensation payment at the end of your tenancy and meet the qualification criteria, we will decide what to pay based on how much the improvement cost you and how long it is likely to last. The scheme only pays amounts between £50 and £3,000.

What will happen after we make a compensation offer

When we make an offer of compensation, you must respond to the offer within 28 days and accept it within three months. If you owe us rent, and the arrears are not due to be paid by housing benefit, we will credit any compensation or other payment to your rent account unless the payment is for a specific item (e.g. to replace a damaged item of furniture). If this is the case, payment will be by cheque to ensure you can replace the item quickly.

My Octavia app

Contact us via our app

Tell us online

Customer Contact Team

020 8354 5500