Buying the freehold

As a leaseholder, you have a legal right under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 to act with the other leaseholders in your building to buy the freehold together. You have to meet certain qualifying criteria. This is known as collective enfranchisement. A useful guide to buying the freehold is available on the LEASE website,

It is also possible for you to negotiate with the freeholder informally to buy the freehold by agreement.

Collective enfranchisement

Under collective enfranchisement, the Act sets out a procedure and timescales to be followed to acquire the freehold. You can find out more about what is involved from the First-tier Tribunal - Property Chamber (Residential Property).

Buying by informal route

It is possible for leaseholders to informally approach the freeholder to try and acquire the freehold of their building by mutual agreement. This is agreed through a process of negotiation. There is no ‘right to buy’ the freehold this way and consequently you cannot apply to the First-tier Tribunal to determine any terms.

Further advice

Buying the freehold can be a difficult process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor who have experience in this area. We can provide details of solicitors who are experienced with leasehold work if you would like to contact them.

020 8354 5500

Ask for the homeownership team

Tell us online - fill in a report form (non-emergency)

If you do not have a My Octavia account you can still contact us via an online form here