CAB advice surgery

Free confidential debt advice

If you have problems paying your rent, or other debts such as credit cards, fuel payments, overdrafts or bills from mail order catalogues, then we can offer you help and advice. We work in partnership with Citizens Advice  (CAB) to provide free, independent and confidential advice on debt.

We are also working with the debt advice charity Stepchange to provide you with immediate advice on freephone (including mobiles) 0800 138 1111 or you can use their secure debt remedy tool on their website:

Making sure you are claiming all of the benefits you are entitled to

Octavia also work with Citizens Advice to provide one to one advice on welfare benefits.

Learning how to manage your money and budgetting

We can refer you to a specialist advisor from Citizen's Advice (CAB) who can help you learn how to manage your money better and prepare a personal budget sheet. You can also get advice on the best bank accounts to use to make electronic payments without worrying about being charged and sensible ways to borrow money if you need to, so you can avoid loan sharks and pay day loan companies which will charge you lots of money for their services.

Please contact your Income Officer for individual advice or to make an appointment

Octavia can also support you with:

  • Work and training opportunities
  • Advice on saving money
  • Moving to a smaller home to avoid the under occupation penalty
  • Grants for hardship e.g essential household items and education - contact your neighbourhood officer
  • Free internet access in our reception area and links to local courses to learn basic computer and internet skills.

Your local council will also have a limited amount of money available to make discretionary payments towards housing costs. They may prioritise your claim if you have a disability and your house has been adapted. Please contact them for more information.